Thursday, September 23, 2010

Reconstructing a plain looking FONT



I find Helvetica to be one of the most unappealing fonts in the world but today I stumbled upon a website that had a number of logos that were inspired by the font called Helvetica. As I take a look at the sufficient amount of decent looking logos, I thought to myself..."what is making this font look ok to me?" Well, with the help of some creative designers the facelift of helevetica was surely evident. With Crate & Barrel, I noticed taking out the kerning had a lot to do with reconstructing of the appearance. Having all the letters live close to one another gives it a cleaner, more expensive look which is fitting for a furniture retail business. I also noticed that by adding a simple twist to a letter such as the "L" in Staples to make it look like a staple, or Microsofts missing piece of the letter "o" completely changes what can be considered a boring font. Some others chose to position a logo around the type thereby assembling an appealing piece to observe. Interesting..... I don't think I've ever really considered challenging myself to take something I instinctively find disdainful and recreate it to my liking. I can now say I may just try. Off to play....

1 comment:

  1. It is fascinating to see how a simple sans serif font can be transformed to suit so many different logos. Personally, I prefer flowing fonts with serifs but Helvetica is so readable and approachable.

    ReplyDelete